This quick and easy rice dish combines three types of mushroom with carrot, tofu, and the delicate flavours of sake, mirin, and dashi. The recipe below serves four.
- 2 cups washed rice
- 50g bunashimeji mushrooms, cut into 2cm pieces
- 50g enoki mushrooms, cut into 2cm pieces
- 50g maitake mushrooms, cut into small cubes
- 100g carrots, cut into quarters
- 100g soft tofu, cubed
- 1.5tbsp organic Kikkoman soy sauce
- 1tbsp mirin
- 2tbsp sake
- 1tsp dashi powder
- Place two cups of washed rice into a standard fuzzy-logic rice cooker.
- Add soy sauce, mirin, sake, and dashi powder and add purified spring water to slightly below the 2 cup mark. Mix thoroughly.
- Combine mushroom pieces, carrot quarters, and tofu cubes, and then add on top of the rice. Spread to evenly distribute, but do not mix.
- Cook using settings for standard white rice. This will generally take about 40-60 minutes.
- Mix thoroughly, allow to rest for approximately 10 minutes, and serve.
Chasing a Recluse: Kamo no Chōmei
12th century Japanese author Kamo no Chōmei (鴨長明) is most famous for...